June 7, 2015

A Crown to Remember

It's been a day since the amazing Belmont which American Pharoah showed why he was the one that could finish possibly the hardest sporting accomplishment, the Triple Crown. Today I thought I would put into words the thoughts that I have going thorough my head. First though here is that remarkable replay.



Affirmed's run in 1978 was ten years before I was born. Even though I was born in New York, my love of horse racing didn't start until I had moved to Delaware (although my love of horses did begin in the Empire State). American Pharoah came when I was at a bit of a crossroads in my love of horse racing. While part of me still cared for the sport, in a way I was ready to move on. He changed that perspective and now ready to move on with the rest of the year with me hopefully seeing him at least once (if he goes to the Haskell or Travers that is).

In the Derby I was all over Upstart and Carpe Diem. I had loved both of them at 2 and they had a great 3yo prep season. I didn't like Pharoah at all as I had wanted a horse from FL to do well after a somewhat meh previous TC trail. I was wrong as Pharoah barely won and both of my picks where uptrack finishers.

In the Preakness, Danzig Moon who had done extremely well in the Derby was my pick with Divining Rod a nephew to Kitten's Joy and owned by Barbaro's connections finishing second. Then the rain came and Pharoah was just licking his chops. Rod saved my day finishing third.

The Belmont was different. I wanted to pick Pharoah, but the pessimist in me knew that there where going to be fresh horses. In the end, I said screw it (sorry for the language!) and went with my heart. Keen Ice and Frosted where my picks to fill out the place and show spots because I liked their trainers and knew they had done well in the Belmont in the past. Even though I had the eventual 2nd and 3rd place finishers flipped, I was right on with Pharoah becoming the Pharaoh of the Belmont.

AP has cemented 3yo Champion Male and very likely HOY honors. It will interesting where he shows up next and wherever it is, he will attract a great crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment